Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Jokamiehenoikeudet


There is law in Finland called "every man's right," and there seems to be something similar in most of the Scandinavian countries. It basically means public right of access to all property. Everyone can go just about any where. No one can stop you from going into the woods to pick berries or mushrooms and spend the night, as long as you don't damage the forest or fields. So if some one owns a ton of land, the can't keep you off it. There are some common sense rules to this, like you need to stay away from buildings (you can't walk through some ones yard) and you can't start fires or have dogs loose, unless you have permission from the land owner.

Its kinda cool, not being a land owner and all. But it takes some getting used to. Even after more then a year, its still odd to think that I can just walk were ever I want, and that there are really no such things as "No trespassing" signs. But thats okay, as I don't know what mushrooms are safe to eat yet...

No comments: