Thursday, November 29, 2007

Kippis

It snowed last night, wonderfully refreshing. I got in and started the car before brushing the snow off. As I can't really use my parking brake, I set the car in idle and made sure it was stable before getting out. It was when I was brushing off the back window that it started to roll on me. After the few milliseconds it took to figure out what I needed to do, I ran to open the driver side door and yep, it was frozen shut. I was able to crawl in the passenger side, but I am sure it was a silly sight.

Right. So I took a short trip to Belgium last week. Well almost two weeks ago now. It was an extended weekend spent with Aaron and friends from San Diego, being as they were on the continent but couldn't find any reason to visit Finland. (I have heard alot of that...). But it was great for me as I was able to visit yet another place I haven't been. So before visiting all I really knew of Belgium was beer, chocolate and EU. After visiting, for me at least, it was all about the beer. Not only do they make sooo many types, they know how to serve it too. They take beer seriously. So I fit right in.

Anyway, the first few days were spent with friends. We visited a natural brewery, Cantalion, in Brussels. Not sure if natural is the correct word, but they don't add any yeast when they make the beer. The beer grows just from the natural bacteria in the air. But we were lucky and arrived during one of the two open brewing session of the year. We also drove down to Orval, walked by the EU Parliament, saw a few tourist attractions, and looked at the interior of more then a few bars.

On Monday they headed back across the Atlantic and I was left on my own. I decided to check out Ypres which has some very interesting WWI history and then spend the night at Bruges. While Bruges is a tourist town, visiting in November was the perfect time. I did see a few old buildings and such, but again, the bars are the main attraction. I spent the last night in Luven where some friends live before catching the early flight back to Finland so I can try to go to work.

And here are the pictures

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian,

Bruges is beautiful, I think it is my favorite place you have visited so far. The canal and the buildings along the waters edge are wonderful!!!

Love Pamela and Jim

Michelle Harris said...

I like the points of view you take in some of your pictures. I can tell you are enjoying taking photos with your camera.
Glad to see Aaron and Beth made it near enough to visit.
smile...m