Sunday, April 22, 2007

Stockholm side trip


So it has been a little bit since I had time to post, part of that is due to taking 2 weeks to get internet enabled in by new apartment, but mostly it is due to many happenings and/or laziness. I guess I should start with my trip to Stockholm. I uploaded some pictures that you can check out. Not so many of me, mostly just buildings.

I took the overnight Viking Line ferry from Turku to Stockholm on Friday. I had a ticket for the Thursday night boat, but right before I got on I realized there was no passport in my pocket. So quick change of a ticket. But for future reference, no passport was needed for this short trip. Of course it is smart to have. So... I up all night as I booked my trip too late to get a cabin, but I met some interesting people so conversation was good when it was intelligible. When I noticed that the sun was up and the boat was docked, I decided that I should get off.

The streets were completely empty. Given it was a holiday weekend on Saturday morning and I was in a zombie state from no sleep, it was still weird to walk down huge empty streets without seeing even a car go by. But around noon the town started to wake up.

I spent the weekend mostly walking around the city streets. I did manage to hit a few museums, and the highlight for sure was the Vasamuseet. If you ever go spend more then the hour I did there before the museum closed. I also caught the changing of the guard which is also in the pictures. Really though, most of the time was just strolling and eating ice cream. I did go out one night with some interesting Belgians whom I shared a room with at the hostel. Weather was okay, but the cold wind made my lips a little rough. And on Monday when I headed back to the boat there was a few centimeters of snow on the ground.

No comments: