Friday, May 04, 2007

Vappu

So Tuesday was vappu... or May day. I didn't realize how much this day is celebrated out side of the US. I guess in many places it is kind of a labor day (at least according to wikipedia). Here it is much more of a party day. I spent the time in Helsinki with some friends. The night before we dressed up for a costume part. I decided to try and be a representative from the Blue Man Group. I later modified that to blue man group reject, which fit the costume better. Luckily, no one here knows who the the hell the blue man group are - actually most thought I was a Martian, which is silly as martians are green. Anyway, in the end we were too late to the party, so we just went to a bar. But there were other random people dressed up, so we didn't feel alone.

The next day we went to the park for a 'picnic.' Not the sitting in a quiet park playing games while eating a lunch sort of picnic. More of the wall to wall people parting type of picnic. It was neat though as people of all ages where there wearing their white hats that they got if they graduated school. There was no method to it either, no show or festival tents, just a bunch of people who all decide to go to the park on vappu with their white hats and champagne bottles, in the name of tradition.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the blue! Who is the crazy guy in the background!

Brian said...

One of the crazy Finnish pirates they have up here. Very dangerous.

Michelle Harris said...

Holy crap! That's a lot of blue. Sounds like you had fun.