Sunday, February 03, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things


I was asked yesterday about what I will miss most from Finland. After being told friends wasn't a valid answer, I thought about Fazer chocolates, sauna traditions, and settled on hiking in the swamps and woods. But while hiking to day, I thought of something else.

Growing up in San Diego, summer was the only season that had real meaning. Sure the temperature rose from warm to hot, but the real difference was no school. The days would be filled with water fights and playing in the park, and doing all the stuff that I had put off. But after I started working, summer lost all meaning. There was really no difference to my day all year around. Here summer means warmth, day light, and fun. Sausages on the open fire and grilling after work. Sailing and boating and hiking and festivals all day and night. It means it will be at least 10 or 11 pm before you remember that you should eat dinner and sleep before work tomorrow. Here, summer has meaning again. So Senja, thats what I'll miss the most - soumalainen kesät.

Of course, maybe I only feel this way because at the moment its still dark and cold out my window, and I'll really just miss the chocolate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian, I am so glad that you were able to figure out what you really will miss the most. For sure we will miss you a lot!

Anonymous said...

How about a few of my favorite things for Seattle?