Thursday, December 21, 2006

Talvipäivänseisaus

So tonight is the longest night of the year. I asked some friends today if that makes today or tomorrow the shortest day. "When you live here for 35 years, you don't care" was my answer. Still the days will start to be longer very soon. According to Gaisma tomorrow is one minute shorter. But one week from now 3 minutes longer, and in two months 3 hours, and in six months the days will be 13 hours longer. Exciting, I know. Enjoy the Winter Solstice!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian....Happy Winter Solstice!!! I can feel the days getting longer by the minute! It has been cold here, too!!! Wednesday night at Mt. Laguna it was a record low of 15 F and in Ramona 24 F!!! And even when it is cold, I also where sandals and socks! Rakastaa, Pamela

linda said...

Interesting...Happy Winter Solstice!

Brian said...

I heard there was actually black ice in LA. A police escort was provided, due to the emergency.

Or, so I heard....

Unknown said...

We went to Coronado and celebrated the Winter Solstice at the Solstice Monument on the Silver Strand. Several people brought wine and cheese. The sky was clear and warm (without the aid of the jacket device) and a beautiful sunset. I was talking to a family from Alaska and told them about my son in Finland.